A magazine has listed an Auburn-area barbecue restaurant as one of the best new barbecue joints in the South.
Bow & Arrow recently was named to Garden & Gun’s “A Guide to the Best New Southern BBQ Joint” list.
The Charleston-based magazine included 15 barbecue restaurants throughout the South on its list, with two restaurants located in Alabama.
Bow & Arrow owner David Bancroft opened the restaurant in November 2018 at 1977 E. Samford Ave. in Auburn.
Bancroft, who also owns Auburn restaurant Acre, based the restaurant off of his experience being born in Alabama but raised in Texas.
“My parents went to Auburn, but my dad got a job at a hospital in Texas,” he told the Opelika-Auburn News last September. “I was there from age 4 to 18 until I returned to Auburn University. My most impressionable days were in Texas.”
He describes Bow & Arrow as a “south Texas smokehouse meets Alabama church potluck.”
Bow & Arrow’s menu includes smoked brisket, turkey, pork, sausage, ribs and chicken as well as collard greens, hashbrown casserole, mac n’ cheese and deviled egg potato salad.
The restaurants named in Garden & Gun’s list are:
- Bow & Arrow – Auburn, AL
- B’s Cracklin’ Barbecue – Savannah & Atlanta, GA
- Federalist Pig – Washington D.C.
- Feges BBQ – Houston, TX
- Hometown Bar-B-Que – Brooklyn, NY
- La Barbecue – Austin, TX
- Lewis Barbecue – Charleston, SC
- The Pig – Chapel Hill, NC
- Rodney Scott’s Whole-Hog Barbecue – Charleston, SC & Birmingham, AL
- Sam Jones BBQ – Winterville, NC
- The SmoQue Pit – Statesboro, GA
- Southern Soul Barbecue – St. Simons Island, GA
- Sweet Lew’s – Charlotte, NC
- ZZQ Texas Craft Barbecue – Richmond, VA